Thursday, June 03, 2004

First Blog Entry 6/3/04

This is my first blog entry and I am very excited about it. I have heard the term blog being used more and more over the past year or so, and I decided to look into it. I am still unsure of what blog stands for but maybe someone can help me clear that up.
I am a student at Guilford College in Greensboro, North Carolina. I live in Winston-Salem and work as a cook at an assisted living community. I previously worked at a country club as a banquet chef but the elitists started getting to me so I quit after eleven years and returned to college. I've completed one semester and am about to start the second session of summer school on June twenty-first. I tried college when I was in my late teens and early twenties but it didn't take for some reason. So now I'm back at it with more enthusiasm and focus than I had in those days.
I am thirty-seven. I am unmarried but have been enjoying a long term relationship with a woman named Margaret for thirteen years, and if this is starting to sound like a personality profile for a dating service it isn't. I think that for my first entry I should just give some autobiographical background in order to establish a base for whatever I might write in the future.
My father was a history professor at Salem College, which is small private women's college in Winston Salem. He and my mother raised four children, three daughters and one son, the son being me. I am the youngest. We lived in a farm house about ten miles from town in a little place called Clemmons. Clemmons has now become a large suburb with urban sprawl, but when we were growing up it was fairly rural and you might even say redneck. I caught a lot of crawdads in the creek.
I had sporadic success in grade school and usually brought home Cs and Ds. History interested me for obvious reasons, and I seemed to have knack for English, but the rest of the subjects usually bored me to distraction. I some how got through though and ended up at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. This really wasn't the best fit for me and I soon dropped out when the opportunity arose where I could go work in South Africa for eighteen months. This opened up a whole chapter in my life that indirectly led to where I am today. I want to get all of this down using this blog. I'll have a lot of time to do this and I want to get as much of it down as I can. I also want to reflect on daily events and whatnot. This is my goal. See you next time.

1 Comments:

At 3:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is remarkable, rather amusing opinion

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home