Friday, February 16, 2007

Introduction to George the Younger

This is a parody piece I did for 18th Century Literature last year. It is very, very, very loosely base on Dryden’s Absalom and Achitophel. I believe, a year later, the piece still rings true with one noticeable discrepancy, the body count. Possibly an appendage about troop escalations would make the poem more current as well.

I ended up with a 90 for the work, punctuation being my downfall, although I had a retired managing editor (brother-in-law Dan) proof read it. I sent it to the New Yorker for a possible Shouts&Murmurs slot but alas, the editors claimed it had “evident merit but wasn’t for them.”

I scanned the paper, rather than copy and paste it from the word file, because I knew that blogspot would mangle the format. I was very careful to try to reproduce the format of the venerable Norton’s Anthology of English Literature. To view the piece, point at it and when the hand appears double click. If some computers don’t support this function I would be happy to email the piece to anyone interested. imichie@triad.rr.com.

Its best to use Internet Explorer to view this, Netscape makes the text gigantic,
and a lot of scrolling is involved.

2 Comments:

At 1:34 PM , Blogger Froshty said...

I could read this forever.

 
At 3:06 PM , Blogger Emily Barton said...

I'm so incredibly jealous of your ability to write this piece.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home